Topic: playing slideshow on TV problems

I have saved my slideshow as a MP4 file to my computer, I have downloaded the file to a memory stick, my question is how do I get the slideshow to play on a t.v. ?  I can plugged the memory stick into a the USB port on my computer and the slideshow plays however when I plug it into the USB port on my t. V. it doesn't play.  Any suggestions?

Re: playing slideshow on TV problems

Hi Gwenda, this sounds strange. Can you play other MP4 files on your TV with no problems?

Hi Lesley, that is a good question, the answer, I don't know have never tried to do so.  I have researched the internet and what I read stated Sony, (brand of TV I own)  can only read FAT16, FAT32, and EXFat file systems.  I have no idea how to save my slideshow as one of the mentioned files, do you?  Information I read stated to create a folder at root named dcim,  Sony can only display JPEGS, but MPEG4 is supported files from USB device require still images to be JPEG, music MP# format, video AVCHD, MP$ (AVG) or MPEG1.   Apparently not any USB memory device will work they memory device has to be compatible with the TV USB connection. 

The slideshow is a gift, the person receiving the slideshow on memory stick doesn't have a Sony, I don't know if it will work on any other t.v. guess I should give it a try.

any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you for your quick reply

Hi Gwenda, thank you for those details.

gwenda84 wrote:

what I read stated Sony, (brand of TV I own)  can only read FAT16, FAT32, and EXFat file systems.  I have no idea how to save my slideshow as one of the mentioned files, do you?

That's about the file system on your USB memory stick, not about the slideshow video format. You can check it like this: insert the memory stick on your computer, right-click on the corresponding USB drive label and select Properties. You'll see the file system then. Anyway, it would be best to contact someone from Sony support staff to check what else could be the problem.

Actually, I don't remember any other customer reports like this, and our slideshows can normally be played on all TVs with USB support. Of course it would be good to try in advance. But anyway, the person will definitely be able to play the slideshow on the computer. To be safe, you could also upload a copy to Web (Vimeo for example) and adjust the privacy settings if you want to restrict access.

Thank you for your reply, I took the stick to Best Buy they put it in one of their Sony TV's the slideshow  loaded and appeared to work.    Sony wasn't any help as my tv is no longer under warranty.  Not sure what I am going to do at this point.

I have tried to download the slide show to my computer but it has stalled 3 different times, on 3 different slides.  It did download to the stick with no problems, not sure way it keeps getting stuck when I try to download it to a computer file, any suggestions?