Topic: 7 Typical Mistakes to Avoid While Making a Slideshow

You’re new to slideshow making and want to improve the quality of your projects? If so, we encourage you to get familiar with 7 typical mistakes and avoid them in your slideshows.
1.    Black bars on your slides
It’s the most common mistake new users make. In SmartSHOW 3D you only need to click the “Photo Position” button and choose the “Fill Frame” option to stretch the photos. You can always adjust the photo position manually using the slide editor.
2.    Overload of special effects
Special effects definitely add some “spice” to a slideshow, but don’t go over the top, because the slideshow may become unwatchable. Of course, simple effects such as smooth motion or slow zoom suit almost any photo.
3.    Too long slideshows
The recommended duration of a slideshow is 3 to 7 minutes, including up to 50 photos. Here’s a tip: pick only great and stylish shots rather than insert all of the photos from your recent journey.
4.    Low-resolution photos
If you want to make a Full-HD slideshow, your photos’ resolution must be at least 1920x1080. If you’re gonna use pan & zoom,  you’ll need photos that are at least 3500 pixels wide. Otherwise, photos will look blurry and uncool.
5.    Wrong montage
The optimal way is to alternate close, middle and long shots.  It’s not a good idea to put 10 panoramic shots or close-ups in a row, it’ll simply look boring.
6.    Random transitions
Using the random transitions feature is convenient if you need to make a slideshow quickly, otherwise it is recommended to pick transitions manually. Remember that transitions should correspond to the theme of the project. For a slow-paced slideshow smooth gradients will work fine, while 3D transitions work better with a fast-paced project.
7.    Sloppy titles
Title slides introduce your whole project so take your time designing them. Think about harmony, when you choose the color and size of text captions. And don’t put subtitles too close to the borders of the slide– leave about 10% of space so everything looks OK.

Re: 7 Typical Mistakes to Avoid While Making a Slideshow

That's precious tips, thank you Michael!
But I'm not sure what close, middle and long shots mean sad - could you explain that?

Chantale wrote:

That's precious tips, thank you Michael!
But I'm not sure what close, middle and long shots mean sad - could you explain that?

Absolutely.
In the close shot a certain feature or part of the subject takes up most of the frame. A close up of a person usually means a close up of their face (unless specified otherwise).

The middle shot shows some part of the subject in more detail, whilst still showing enough for the audience to feel as if they were looking at the whole subject. In fact, this is an approximation of how you would see a person "in the flesh" if you were having a casual conversation.

In the wide shot, the subject takes up the full frame.  Obviously the subject doesn't take up the whole width and height of the frame, since this is as close as we can get without losing any part of the subject. The small amount of room above and below the subject can be thought of as safety room — you don't want to be cutting the top of the head off.

Hope this will help you wink

Thank you for making that clear to me! Never thought about such details, to be honest. All my vacation photos are wide shot for example. sad

5 (edited by Cindy 2014-04-14 15:19:31)

Hi Chantale, having wide shots only is not a problem at all if the slideshow software can zoom in the image. Just use your standard photos, but apply the zoom effect right from the start.
But Michael made a good point about the variety of images. It's good to keep that in mind when you go photo hunting again smile

Oh right, good idea about zoom effect, thank you Cindy!

Hi everybody! thank you so uch for your hints. I will use a lot of them in my work.

Hi, my name is Yaakov, I'm from Israel
I am looking to see other people's works and ideas in general
Thanks for the work, Yaakov

Thank you, Michael. for these useful tips : )

StrategicERP has designed Construction ERP software specifically for Construction Industries

Hi!  I've made several slideshows which look great on a computer screen but when transferred to a much larger format, eg big screen TV,  the resolution of the pictures is terrible. Is there a way to save a slideshow, or specific slideshow maker that will allow me to save in a very high resolution to avoid this?

Thanks for any help!
Beth

Hi Gradoo!

When you go to convert your slideshow into a video, choose HD video https://prnt.sc/15lywcd and switch to 1080p https://prnt.sc/15lyzyv Such videos should look good on most modern TVs.

Thank you for the tip!

very nice and effective tips shared by thanks for sharing and it will help for all

Thank you for sharing this post. It is very informative. So much information to take in.

15 (edited by aidalaop1 2022-11-01 09:10:56)

useful information