Topic: What do you create slideshows for?

For many years I created slideshows using various programs, some good, some not so good!
But all I did with them was send an .exe file version to a few family and friends. Then I recently bought 3d SmartShow, and was frankly blown away by the choices and effects that I had never seen in any other slide show program. So I did the usual thing and created several slideshows from my existing photo collection, the results were great!

But I soon realised that much more could be done with this software, for example you can create a video slideshow for your Website advertising any products you may be selling, or just to tell the story of your life, it's up to you?

So what do you do that is different with this program? As I mentioned above, I am in the process of adding a video slideshow to my Website.     http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

Tell us what you have created with 3d SmartShow that is different, I'm sure we would all benefit from your ideas! big_smile

Re: What do you create slideshows for?

Hello,
I am a school teacher and I run a photography workshop. So I decided to learn to make slideshows to share them with my students. Usually, I downloaded the photos that I needed and showed them using some standard Windows slideshow software. But then I understood that I need to use comments for technical data like aperture or type of lens. Students get better understanding of the subject when they can see the numbers written somewhere. But working with Photoshop text options took a huge amount of my time, so I turned to Smartshow 3D, where now I can add captions and even music. Children adore these slideshows!

seecynon wrote:

I am in the process of adding a video slideshow to my Website. http://www.bluebottleexchange.com

All those stories and pictures look sooo yummy, William! Kids probably adore them smile
Can't wait to see the slideshow!

4 (edited by Lesley 2014-11-28 08:17:51)

Chantale wrote:

I am a school teacher and I run a photography workshop. So I decided to learn to make slideshows to share them with my students. Usually, I downloaded the photos that I needed and showed them using some standard Windows slideshow software. But then I understood that I need to use comments for technical data like aperture or type of lens. Students get better understanding of the subject when they can see the numbers written somewhere. But working with Photoshop text options took a huge amount of my time, so I turned to Smartshow 3D, where now I can add captions and even music. Children adore these slideshows!

Great idea Chantale! I have a teaching background, too, so I can imagine how excited your students must be about such teaching methods smile Some of my most successful classes were centered around multimedia presentations made by my students (I asked them to use Prezi at the time), and they were so happy that they were allowed to use their own pictures for the projects!
Images are a very powerful teaching tool, indeed, especially when you can apply some cool effects and add captions of course.

I would like to learn how to make slideshows. I travel a lot, so I need to organize my shots in something attractive, useful. I am a bit tired of uploading dozens of pictures on tumblr and other networks. I also want to use music, because it creates dynamic and makes the shots more vivid.

the beauty is in the eye of the beholder

It may take a while Lesley, because I am very busy at the moment, but as soon as I get a break so as to work on my site, it will get done! wink

You can do everything you want to do in 3d slideshow Diana, and the results are excellent and very easy to achieve. The only difficulty I found was getting the right music, but you can download free music clips from the Web if you search for them!

Hello everyone.
I decided to download smarshow 3d for my college project. Speaking about music, I always use soudcloud. There is some music available for download. But I am not sure if I can use it for my video projects and then share them online.

9 (edited by seecynon 2014-12-02 19:02:02)

Unless the site you download the music from actually states that the downloadable content is public domain (free for non commercial use), it is probably copyright. You can use any downloadable content for your own personal use, but should not post that content online or distribute it far and wide, because you could be falling foul of the law!

William.

PS:  Maybe Lesley can convince the developers to either provide a selection of ambient music as an update, or as downloadable packs (for a reasonable price)? This is the one area where 3D SlideShow can be improved, and leave the competitors behind!

I'm not almighty William, but I'll certainly forward the idea to the project manager smile As a matter of fact, we have already received a few requests regarding a basic music collection, and that's on our updates plan along with bug fixes and new features.
Nevertheless, most people will still prefer to use their favorite music for personal projects. The copyright issue is truly painful here, especially if you wish to upload video to YouTube, Vimeo and like. Fortunately, YouTube will offer you to replace a proprietary soundtrack with one from their collection.

I fully understand that Lesley, which is why I suggested providing a paid for package! The price would need to cover any personal use clauses. I'm not talking a huge amount, about 5 or six ambient tracks would be enough to provide a starter!

seecynon wrote:

about 5 or six ambient tracks would be enough to provide a starter!

I'm sure that's absolutely feasible, and hopefully comes with the next major update!

Is there anyone in here who creates business slideshows?

14 (edited by seecynon 2014-12-19 23:00:04)

The secret to any slideshow (business or otherwise) is to capture the audiences attention, so there must be a reasonably attractive theme throughout.
It doesn't matter if the finished show looks good to you, because you are going to reflect your own ideas of what suits you. So you need to seek the opinion of people who have no links to your business (ordinary laymen) to look at your finished slideshow and give an honest unbiased appraisal on how it looks?
See your other post in the Welcome section for some ideas!

seecynon wrote:

The secret to any slideshow (business or otherwise) is to capture the audiences attention, so there must be a reasonably attractive theme throughout.
It doesn't matter if the finished show looks good to you, because you are going to reflect your own ideas of what suits you. So you need to seek the opinion of people who have no links to your business (ordinary laymen) to look at your finished slideshow and give an honest unbiased appraisal on how it looks?
See your other post in the Welcome section for some ideas!

Yes, I really want to capture the audiences attention, as you said. But I am not sure if I can master this app myself. I just wanted to get some creative ideas, that's all.

You can use one of the built in templates to set out your slideshow, the program is intuative and very easy to master. Just practice at making a mockup of what you want to achieve, with a little thought and patience you will produce what you need!

17 (edited by Waltzing_Flowers 2014-12-23 12:59:25)

seecynon wrote:

You can use one of the built in templates to set out your slideshow, the program is intuative and very easy to master. Just practice at making a mockup of what you want to achieve, with a little thought and patience you will produce what you need!

What is this template option about? I am really slow with new software.

I have been making slideshows for the last 10-12 years . Mostly of vacations we take with another couple . Have used Roxio, Nero and Adobe elements. I have so far liked the SS 3D much better as the elements are all there that I like to use. I just have to practice using them. I really like the 5 minute, just wonder if I could do that without the templates.
      A second question. We went to Yellowstone (photographers paradise) last summer and I took over 1500 shots and the show will use most (1000 to 1200) of them as they want to see it all. How much should I expect to get on a DVD with this program? With other programs 500 is about the max.
       Also I like the idea of a forum to share these ideas. I am on so many woodworking forums I am running out of available time to do this.
       Gerald

Hi Gerald, a warm welcome to you!

lawr1970 wrote:

I really like the 5 minute, just wonder if I could do that without the templates.

Not quite sure what you mean by "without the templates", could you enlarge on that?

Regarding your second question, well, we tested projects with 1000 slides, and video conversion ran fine, but the output file size will depend on the quality of the source photos, therefore I cannot tell you for sure whether your project will fit onto a DVD.
Besides, it is not surefire that the computer will cope with a huge project, it all depends on the overall computer performance and the video card.
Finally, perhaps it would be better to pick the best shots and make a couple of shorter videos rather than a single one that is huge and takes hours to watch. What do you think?

Lesley wrote:

Hi Gerald, a warm welcome to you!

lawr1970 wrote:

I really like the 5 minute, just wonder if I could do that without the templates.

Not quite sure what you mean by "without the templates", could you enlarge on that?

Regarding your second question, well, we tested projects with 1000 slides, and video conversion ran fine, but the output file size will depend on the quality of the source photos, therefore I cannot tell you for sure whether your project will fit onto a DVD.
Besides, it is not surefire that the computer will cope with a huge project, it all depends on the overall computer performance and the video card.
Finally, perhaps it would be better to pick the best shots and make a couple of shorter videos rather than a single one that is huge and takes hours to watch. What do you think?

W/O templates is in reference to picking a theme which enters the templates on each slide.
Yes shorter may be better , but the couple we went with wanted all the pics on it  so guess there will be more than 1 show.
Thanks for the response

Hello to everyone!
I've been closely acquainted with slideshow apps (Prezi, Magix photostory and etc.) since my grad school. It always cost me a lot of time and patience to make a satisfying slideshow. Now I work for a local trading company and must make business slideshows on daily basis. Actually it's not much fun because it's all about figures and percentages. I was looking for smth easier to master and more likely to entertain. So far Smartshow3D is great! I'm still in the process of discovering its opportunities but I've already made a few slidehsow projects from my girlfriend's photos. At first, keyframes're pain to understand but now I get used to them and can add some cool effects.